New history museum with artifacts is open at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Colusa
A new history museum was recently opened with an open house at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Colusa, containing a treasury of artifacts and documents from the long history of the parish.
Father Arbel Cabasagan, pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes for the past two years, got the project rolling with his love of history. He worked in the Catholic archives of the Archdiocese of San Francisco prior to becoming a priest. When he arrived in Colusa, he quickly discovered a treasury of artifacts, documents and other historical material that needed a proper home.
Some items were found in a boiler room, others stashed away in one place or another – at the church, the parish offices and other places. A committee of 13 parishioners was formed and a call out to parishioners brought in more material for the museum.
It took more than a year for the committee to compile, organize and finally put together the museum displays, working right up until the final days before the grand opening. The committee members were caught up in the history, since most have long histories with the parish and the project has brought back a lot of memories.
The history of Our Lady of Lourdes Church actually dates to 1863, when the first Catholic Mass in Colusa was celebrated by Father John McNulty in the courthouse. The current church was dedicated in 1881. (Information for this story courtesy of the Colusa County Sun-Herald)
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish on the Web: http://www.ourladyoflourdescolusa.com
By Julie Sly - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm