Quick Start Guide
How to launch Flocknote in 5 easy steps
This Quick Start Guide assumes you have already created your Network and completed, personally, the Free 15-minute Flocknote training. Once you’ve done those things, proceed to these 5 easy steps to get rollin'.
STEP 1: Set up your Lists
Once you've got your Network created and the basic setup completed (which it walked you through when creating your Network), it's time to create the Lists that will make up your Network. You may have created a few Lists when setting up your Network, but you'd probably like to create more. Go ahead and set up as many as you like. Most Networks on Flocknote have between 10-80 Lists. It just depends on how your organization is set up and how you're using Flocknote.
Think about each group of people you'd like to send information to and create a List for them. Add images for your Network and each List to make it your own. You can check out a good example Network here to get some ideas.
TIP: Start simple and you can always add more or remove some later. But get a good structure in place to get you going. This will give your team a good feel for how things are going to work when you introduce it to them in Step Two.
STEP 2: Add your Admins
Ideally, you'll have your leadership team on board with using Flocknote. After all, it's going to make their jobs easier, too! These are the folks that will be your Network and List Admins and generally made up of your staff or volunteer leaders in your organization/group. See the training videos or Help Center for more info.
Now that you've got your Lists set up, add your admins to your Network (by adding them as subscribers and then turning them into Network/List admins for the appropriate Lists).
Next, send them an email (just using your normal email system) with the following message:
I'd like to introduce that new, simple communication tool I was telling you about called Flocknote. I've already set you up as an admin for your very own List(s), which you'll see once you get logged in. But first you need to:
- Complete your registration by going to this link: http://www.flocknote.com/_____________ [fill in the blank with your vanity url]
- Complete this free, 15-minute Flocknote training found here: http://flocknote.com/training
- If you have any existing email addresses for your group members, feel free to start adding them to your Lists! (but don't send Notes out just yet)
If you have any questions, we'll be going over ALL of this at our next meeting so we're all on the same page. Thanks for trying something new. I really think once you give it a try you're going to love Flocknote!
After giving them a chance to do those 3 things, make sure you follow up on it at your next meeting, answer any questions from your team, let us know if we can help with anything and then move on to the next step together.
STEP 3: Prepare to Promote
Once your leadership team (your Admins) are on board, now you can start thinking about promoting Flocknote to all of your members. Here are a few simple ideas to get you started:
- Put a registration link on your website's home page. The link should point to your Network's vanity url. Feel free to use any of our images, too.
- The link on your home page could also point to another page on your website where you've embedded the registration process right within your own website. Get the code by clicking the "Grow Your Network" button on your Network page.
- Set up your Text-to-Register keywords so people can just text message in to subscribe and get their registration process started.
- Grab a flyer, customize it for your Network, make a lot of photocopies and pass them out, insert into your bulletin, etc. Additionally, we have some free *copy* you can use for your own write-ups, too.
- Another great idea, especially to promote your Text-to-Register keywords, is to have a big sign or banner made to hold up at the end of your next meeting or to hang up outside that invites people to text in to plug in.
STEP 4: Launch
Once you've done a little test of your set up and double checked your promotional material for clarity, it's go time. It's time to invite your members to join you on Flocknote.
Pick an event and just start asking people to register using any of the above methods. Be sure to give them very clear instructions. Remember that not everyone is very tech savvy and may be confused by even the simplest of instructions. Give them a hand and some encouragement and you'll have a great launch. It's very important that the leaders lead by example throughout the process, too (that goes a long way).
Oh, and don't forget to have fun and be creative in motivating people to get connected.
STEP 5: Use it
Now that you've launched, you just have to use it. Frequent and regular communication is crucial for engaged, vibrant communities. And now Flocknote makes it easy for you. You just have to make a new habit of using it.
A few more tips:
Be patient. Some people don’t like change, but they’ll soon start loving the benefits of being more connected. Be prepared to make repeat announcements every week for awhile to make sure everyone gets the message and responds. Some will have a higher learning curve than others. Stick with it and you won't be sorry. And don't let a vocal minority who may be resistant to change spoil the fun for everyone else. :-)
Be consistent. After launch, don’t lean on any previous, redundant communication methods as crutches (i.e. sending manual emails, texting people from your phone directly, etc. like you may have previously done). It will enable the lazy folks to delay making the jump to something better. Fully make the jump and inspire them to follow.
Make great content. Making great content takes time and effort. No matter how fancy your technology is with the *way* you are communicating, it can never substitute for *what* you are communicating. Put some effort into making what you say thoughtful, meaningful, helpful or entertaining (or all of the above). Ultimately, people won't connect with you because you're using a cool tool like Flocknote. Instead, people will connect with you because you're charging ahead with vibrant, active, inspiring endeavors that people long to be a part of. Flocknote just makes it all easier, more practical and more effective.
Have fun. Communicate the joy of your organization. People will be attracted to it and want to join you. A smile is a powerful thing. Let yours shine through when you write.